7.03.2010

Our daughter Grady...the next Julia Child


Our daughter has always been a GREAT eater. She has an appetite for things that I would never eat such as anchovies, olives, blood sausage just to name a few. When I hear parents say that their kids won't eat anything but chicken nuggets and french fries, I think that they must be from another planet. 

Grady loves to talk about food. In fact she sometimes discusses meals a full day ahead of time. "What are we having for breakfast tomorrow. I think I'll have waffles and fruit. And sausage. Can we go to Lil' Frankies for dinner?" Heaven forbid we skip a meal. It throws her whole food diary off. 

Some of her favorite foods are peanut butter & pickle sandwiches, shrimp quesadilla's, banana bread, blueberries, spicy tuna sushi, pizza (of course), beets, asparagus, brussel sprouts, sardines, rare steak (like her Dad), french fries, guacamole, chocolate, salads,  yogurt with jelly (why have it with peanut butter when you can put it in yogurt?). The list goes on an on.

For a person who is particular about food and tastes, it has been a nice change to have a child who will try anything at least once. I am no where as daring about food. I tend to order the same food all the time. Grady will switch things up and try the chicken livers. When all of the the other kids are throwing fits about not wanting to eat their beans, Grady is diving in for seconds. 

We have found something that she won't eat. Cooked broccoli. It has to be raw or she's not "havin' it." The fact that she even likes broccoli amazes me. It is not on my list of foods that I like.

Maybe one day, Grady will grow up to be a world-renowed chef or food-critic for the NY Times. "The Kumamoto oysters at Le Bernardin are fantastic, while the sea urchin risotto never seems to live up to the hype." Whatever she chooses to do with her life, I am confident that she will have tried all of the delicacies that this world has to offer. What a wonderful journey her life will be if she stays on this path. Have fun Grady and eat well.

xo......Daddy